In 1832 the Baptists in the area between Brookfield and Musquodoboit formed the Lower Stewiacke Baptist Church. In 1881 those in Wittenburg built their own building but remained part of the Lower Stewiake Church. In 1929 the Wittenburg section became a separate church but remained a part of the Brookfield Stewiacke field.
During the period of the late 1950's to early 70's as older folks passed away and new people moved in, interest in spiritual matters waned and church activities and attendance waned alarmingly. Then, at a time when the field was without a pastor, Rev. Doug Taylor moved to the area and agreed to lead the Sunday Services and a
weekly Bible Study here in Wittenburg. Under his ministry, based entirely on God's Word, a revival began. Soon, we felt God was leading us to a more effective ministry as a single church rather than one of a field of three.
By 1976, we needed a larger building, land was donated and plans made. During the 1979-80 ministry year, we were able to use the basement for services but in September 1981, the construction was completed and we had our "official" opening service in the building where we are in for this evening's service.
God continued to bless our church with the growth and vitality that it experienced in the past. In 2002 we had approximately 100 people for Sunday services, small groups, bible studies, seniors visitation, children's programs and so much more. Due to this excitement and the commitment to the Lord that people were choosing to display in this local church, we started the process to expand our facilities yet again. Land was donated down on the main road and a building committee was formed in 2002.
In 2008 on the main road, construction on a new church building started that will be better able to accommodate the people and the gatherings we trust God is leading us to provide for the community of Wittenburg.
December 2010 we celebrated our first service at 777 Wittenburg Road.
It has been said that a church with more memories than dreams is in trouble. We want to honor God by continuing our passionate commitment to the Great Commandment and the Great Commission of Jesus Christ. It is that dedication that is the heritage of the faithful people who have come before us here. We plan to continue loving and serving God and others in this community and trust that God will use us to be a part of His plan of drawing all people closer to Jesus Christ as they walk through life in their spiritual journeys.
As small as the population of this area may seem, it is still huge compared to the number of people involved in the Kingdom of God here. We have yet to reach our full redemptive potential to the glory of God. Current residents, as well as newcomers to the area (as HRM and bedroom communities between Truro and Halifax grow larger) mean that there is much joy and excitement to come for this gathering of Christ followers.
We look forward to playing a part in all that God is doing in and through us as we seek to reveal who He is and enjoy ever growing relationships with Jesus Christ and others he